10 easy tips for preventing and eradicating litter
- Keep a litter bag in your car and hang on to litter until you find a garbage receptacle.
- Report litterbugs.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Share with others the proper way to dispose of trash.
- Put papers in a paper bag before placing them in your recycling bin.
- Request a No Handbill Decal for your mailbox.
- Encourage your neighbors, clubs, co-workers or families to Adopt-A-Road or join you in an area cleanup. “Adopting” an area can significantly reduce future litter because people litter less in maintained areas.
- Look for ways to beautify your neighborhood and community, including landscaping and repairing fences. Attractive, maintained neighborhoods are littered less and research shows that they are usually safer, too.
- In your workplace, provide plenty of containers for garbage and recyclables.
- Ask business owners to keep loading docks clean and check dumpsters every day to make sure they are securely closed.
Every day, we can all do something to prevent litter and make our community safer, cleaner and more livable.
These tips are from Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful.