Frequent Questions about the City of Dacula

  1. If I move into Dacula, will I have to pay city taxes?
  2. What should I do to start trash pickup services?
  3. Does the city offer recycling?
  4. How do I get utility service to my new home?
  5. I’m new to Georgia. What should I do about my car registration and auto tags?
  6. Are jobs with the city available?
  7. What recreational activities are available for children in the summer?
  8. When are the next city elections?
  9. Where can I go to sign up for unemployment or ask other labor questions?

Q: If I move into Dacula, will I have to pay city taxes?

Yes, if you own property. Currently, the 2017 city millage rate is 4.806 on the taxable amount. For a home and property worth $100,000, the taxable amount, disregarding any homestead exemption, would be $40,000. A homeowner in this situation would pay $40,000 x .004806, or $192.24, for the year in city taxes. Gwinnett County provides tax billing services for the City of Dacula. City tax is included in the bottom line of your county tax statement. You would make one payment to the county Tax Office covering your county and city taxes. In addition, you may see a line item for residential sanitation services of $192.00 on the tax bill also. You will not receive a separate bill from the City.If you have questions about your tax bill prior to 2001, please contact City Hall.

Q: What should I do to start trash pickup services?

If you are a newcomer to Dacula, call City Hall at 770-963-7451 to arrange for garbage pickup and to receive a recycling bin. The City provides trash pickup, recycling, used appliance pickup,  and leaf removal during the fall. The basic charge is $16 per month, billed annually on the Gwinnett County Property Tax Bill. There are additional charges for bulk items, leaf removal and limb chipping. Call City Hall to arrange for these special services, which are usually provided on Monday or Friday. These fees are billed directly by the City separately from the monthly bill.

All service is provided curb side once per week either on Wednesday or Thursday. Garbage should be placed in plastic bags. Bags need not be placed in a garbage can. However, the City does recommend 95 gallon cans as the best alternative. You may purchase a 95 gallon trash can that allows assisted emptying for $55 at City Hall. Anything placed at the curb will be picked up. So don’t leave your favorite basket at curb side and expect to find it when you come home. Certain items such as poisons, building rubbish and the like will not be picked up. City Ordinance requires every resident within the City limits register and pay for this City service.

Please note beginning JULY 1, 2018

The City Council voted at the  March 1, 2018 City Council meeting that effective on July 1, 2018 the following changes to the Sanitation Ordinance and Fee Schedule are made:

  • Each home is allowed a maximum of two (2) 95-gallon City cans.  Cans, if needed, can be purchased at City Hall for $55 per can.
  • Each business (for which service is currently provided) is allowed a maximum of six (6) 95-gallon City cans. No new businesses will be accepted.
  • As City Trash cans are now required, the City will no longer pick up bagged or loose trash left beside cans nor at the end of driveways.
  • Yard, lawn, limb and other garbage outside of normal household trash will no longer be disposed of as part of regular garbage service. Contact City Hall to schedule limb chipping or to determine what, if any, other arrangements can be made for the disposal of these items.
  • The City is expanding trash pickup to three (3) days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). See the new schedule below. It’s important that each customer have your trash out before 7:00 a.m. on the day of the week listed for your street address.
  • Residential Sanitation fees increase to $228 per year ($19 per month).
  • Business Sanitation fees increases to $348 per year ($29 per month).

PICKUP SCHEDULE (effective July 1, 2018):

Sanitation Pickup on Tuesdays Sanitation Pickup on Wednesdays Sanitation Pickup on Thursdays
Alcovy Road Alton Frank Way 2nd Avenue
Alexa Chase Cove Cedar Court 3rd Avenue
Barn Horse Court Centenary Main Street Auburn Avenue
Ben Arron Drive Centenary Way Court Beckenham Place
Bentley Estates Drive Charesa Lane Broad Street
Brookton Chase Court Charlyne Way Dacula Cove
Brookton Drive Church Street Dacula Road
Brookton Lane Dacula Ridge Court Drowning Creek Road
Brookton Woods Way Dacula Ridge Drive Elvina Court
Carly Joanna Court Eastside Drive Fence Road
Champion Run Drive Eunice Holcomb Circle Flintlock Court
Del Mar Club Drive Forest Dale Drive Flintlock Drive
Estate View Court Fortune Drive Freemans Walk Drive
Hannah Court Franklin Drive Freemans Walk Path
Harbins Road (South of Hwy 316) Freemans Mill Road Hebron Church Road
James Henry Drive Golden Avenue Hever Castle Way
Katie Lynne Lane Gregory Lane Hill Meadows Drive
Kristi Beth Court Harbin Oaks Drive Hinton Court
Lillies Trace Harbins Road (North of Hwy 316) Hinton Circle
Mare Pond Court Hill Circle Hinton Road
Nathan Timothy Court Jody Avenue Hurricane Shoals Road
Overlook Lake Drive Joey Court Laura Lane
Paddock Pointe Place Kale Court Majestic Circle
Peter Josiah Court Katie Ann Lane Michelle Court
Sam Calvin Drive Lakeside Drive Misty Court
Skipping Stone Court Luna Court Mobley Drive
Stone Terrace Way Maxey Street Murray Park Drive
Summit Valley Drive Mackenzie Court Norman Woods
Tack Hill Court McMillan Road Old Peachtree Road
Torrey Place Murray Avenue Paul Thomas Drive
Trophy Club Avenue Oak Court Rutherford Drive
Williams Farm Drive Pharr Avenue Spring Street
Winky Bluff Robin Ridge Way Superior Drive
Rooks Road Tanner Road (from Franklin Drive to Drowning Creek Road)
Sanjo Street
Scott Circle Walking Path Lane
Shane Lane Whisper Court
South Street Whisper Way
Stanley Road William Circle
Tanner Road (from Harbins Road to Franklin Drive) William Street
Wilson Street
Teca Court Winder Hwy (East of Harbins Road)
Villa Spring Court
Villa Spring Terrace
Village Broad Street
Village Trail Court
Winder Hwy (West of Harbins Road)

Q: Does the city offer recycling?

The City contracts for recycling services. The contractor provides a recycle bin for this purpose. Recycling pickup is once per week on Fridays. Place your newspapers, aluminum cans and plastics in the bin and set it curb side for pickup. There is no additional fee for this service.

Q: How do I get utility service to my new home?

Utility Service Providers
Service Provider Telephone
Electricity Georgia Power
Jackson EMC
Natural gas City of Buford 770-945-6761
Sewer (where available)
Gwinnett County Public Utilities 678-376-6800
Cable TV Charter Communications
AT&T Customer Service

Q: I’m new to Georgia. What should I do about my car registration and auto tags?

You are allowed 30 days after residency to register your vehicles. You should contact the Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner’s Tag Division at 770-822-8818 to find out what to do. The Tag Division is located in the Gwinnett County Government Annex at 750 South Perry Street in Lawrenceville. An emission inspection will probably be required. Log onto Gwinnett County on the Web. Click on the Tax Commissioner site for additional information. After you once receive a license plate, you may be able to renew online.

Q: Are jobs with the city available?

From time-to-time jobs become available. Fill out an employment application at City Hall.

Q: What recreational activities are available for children in the summer?

The Dacula Athletic Association, Hebron Christian Recreational Ministry and the Dacula Soccer Club provide summer recreational opportunities. The city’s Maple Creek Park, on McMillan Road, is available for walks, play and nature outings.

Q: When are the next city elections?

The next city election will be in 2019 when two city council posts and the mayor’s post will be up for election.

City, county, state, and federal elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. The polling place for municipal election is at City Hall. Polling places for all elections are found on your voter registration card. Polls are open from 7 a. m. to 7 p. m.

You may complete a voter registration application for all Georgia elections at City Hall.

Q: Where can I go to sign up for unemployment or ask other labor questions?

You can apply for unemployment benefits at any Georgia Department of Labor Career Centers. The nearest Career Center is located at 2211 Beaver Ruin Rd, Suite 160, in Norcross. Log onto the Georgia Department of Labor site for information and other locations.