General Statement of Duties:
This position is responsible for work involving the maintenance of certain City services and the safe and efficient operation of various types of equipment used to maintain these services. An employee in this class is expected to perform strenuous work under weather conditions that are often adverse. Standard procedures are followed and work is supervised and inspected periodically for safety and economy of operation.
- Operate and maintain, as needed, City trucks, backhoe and loader, bush hog and mower, and other comparable equipment.
- Assists other City employees in collecting garbage and loading on truck.
- Assists the public Works Supervisor and/or the Equipment Operators with the maintenance of streets/roads and city right-of-ways. Grinds tree limbs and brush for the City residents. Cuts grass and cleans ditches.
- Assists Public Works Supervisor in the installation of all the City’s seasonal decorations.
- Performs related work as required by the Public Works Supervisor or the City Administrator.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of the safe operation, maintenance, adaptabilities and limitations of various types of mechanical equipment, and of safety rules and accident prevention practices; skills in the operation of light motor equipment under all types of weather conditions; ability to perform strenuous manual labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather conditions; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; Class B CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) is highly desirable.
Desirable Experience and Training:
Experience in the operation and maintenance of light automotive and other power equipment; or any experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities is desired.
Necessary Special requirements:
Class I Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. The ability to study, test, and obtain a Class B (CDL) Driver’s License within 6 months of employment.